Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dad's Baked Salmon



My dad used to make this salmon pretty often, when I lived at home (wow, I guess that was 7 years ago!). The sauce is SO amazing. It tastes very unique. It's sweet, tangy, garlicky and a little rich from the butter. It reminds me of a New Orleans barbecue shrimp sauce. It's so good you'll want to lick your plate! This recipe makes enough for two small salmon filets (about 3 inches long each). It doubles very easily, if you're planning to serve more people. I bake mine, but you can also cook it on the grill or broil it. I served it with roasted butternut squash, green beans and whole wheat couscous (Far East garlic and olive oil brand is awesome- I like to add nuts of some sort when I stir the couscous into the broth. Cashews, almonds and pine nuts all taste great in this).


1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 c. ketchup
1/2 tbsp mustard
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire
freshly ground pepper
the juice of 1/2 a lemon
salt and pepper
2 salmon filets, about 3-4 inches long each (I'm not sure how many ounces they would be)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Heat the butter and olive oil in a small saucepan. Add the crushed garlic and sautee for one minute (until it doesn't smell raw anymore). Add the rest of the ingredients, except the lemon juice. Allow the sauce to simmer over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes (do not boil!). Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Place the salmon filets in a small baking dish. Pour the sauce over the filets (you don't have to remove the skin, if you don't want to. It will come right off when the salmon is cooked). Bake the salmon for about 15 minutes, or until it flakes easily with a fork. Do not overbake or it will taste like rubber (yes, I've done this before :) ).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Salmon is one of my favorites! This looks so good...hey, if you're ever looking for a dinner guest..I'm sure I can be there!