Thursday, February 12, 2009

Lowfat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies


I'm always looking for ways to make my baked goodies a little leaner, since I tend to eat too many of them and make them too often! I found this recipe in my Nestle Toll House Best Ever Cookies cookbook. They taste great. You really don't miss all of the butter and the applesauce gives them a little taste of something different. I omitted the cinnamon, because I don't care for cinnamon in my chocolate chip cookies and I substituted whole wheat flour for some of the white. I halved the recipe for Mundo and me. They will yield about 4 dozen cookies.

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 c. packed dark brown sugar
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups quick or old fashioned oats
2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg whites, vanilla and applesauce. Beat until smooth. Turn off the mixer. Pour in the flours, salt, baking soda and oats. Mix until just combined. Add the nuts and chocolate chips. Bake 10-12 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack.

No comments: