Thursday, January 29, 2009

You'll Never Believe It's Lowfat Carrot Cake



Mundo's favorite cake is carrot cake, so I love to make it for him as a treat every once in a while. I found this recipe on Cooking Light and loved it. I can't take any credit for it, but I had to share it. I found the icing recipe online, but can't remember where it was from. You seriously won't know that it's lowfat. It's super moist and fantastic tasting. You have to try it!! When I make it for Mundo and I, I halve the recipe and bake it in an 8 x 8 inch square baking dish.

Cake:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp canola oil
2 eggs
2 cups grated carrot
1 1/2 c. crushed pineapple or applesauce
cooking spray

Icing:
1/2 c fat free cream cheese
4 tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
2 3/4 c. powdered sugar

For the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the oil and eggs. Add the pineapple or applesauce and carrots. Combine the flour, sugar, coconut, pecans, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir into the wet ingredients. Pour into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Bake for approximately 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

For icing: Beat together the butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and salt. Continue to beat until smooth and creamy. Spread on the cooled cake.

We actually like to eat our pieces warmed in the microwave for about 20 seconds. It tastes SO good!

No comments: